Tuesday 1 March 2011

Zipling through the jungles of Chiang Mai



My idea of an adventure is ordering a new dish in a tried and tested restaurant so unlike Jawaharlal Nehru (after his first meeting with Mahatma Gandhi), I was not “Afire with enthusiasm” when my wife suggested we keep one day for a Zip Line tour in the jungles of Chiang Mai, Thailand.

I was however “Afire with apprehension” when I read what their website had to say:-
Located atop one of Thailand's 5 highest mountains you will soar through the jungle on the adventure of a lifetime as you fly over 6km of the Longest, Highest and Fastest  Zip-lines and activities in all of Asia. We offer 6-7 hours of amazing adraline pumping adventure and fun. Enjoy over 34 platforms and activity stations as you explore one of earth's most precious eco-systems high in the treetops 50m above the 1500 years old Rainforest floor.



Man proposes but wife disposes, so my protests of  “but I do not want my adraline to pump!!” were brushed aside and off we went to book our tour. Like everything else in Thailand there is an original (Flight of The Gibbons tour) and a half price knock off (Jungle Flight tour). Of course money should not be spent on something foolish like safety so half price knock off it was thereby making a 50 % saving for money to be well spent on essentials like shoes and hand bags later.



The tour started bright and early. We were the first to be picked up and the rest of the group consisted of eight Americans. The drive was approx. an hour but seemed longer because we had the American gent giving us facts and figures about how Zipling works, gravity pull, accident rates, chances of death, spinal chord snapping. If you have heard of the term Paranoid American this was it. My loving wife promised me that should something happen to me she would ensure I would be flown back home in a ‘FRADA’ body bag.













We were greeted by a bunch of smiling helpers and were quickly strapped into our safety gear. We had two experts who would accompany our group. 34 platforms built atop trees at a height of 40-50 feet above the ground. The trees were connected with wire cables along which we had to zip across. The experts knew their job and the main guy was really funny and did stunts or would pull at the cables right when we were mid way with our feet dangling in the air.

 




To stir things up a bit we also had to grapple down from a height of 40-50 feet with our guide suspending us mid way just for fun (his not ours). There were also sky high rope bridges which would creak and sway while our guides would jump on them just to hear the group scream.



The experience of zipling through the rain forests was exhilarating and a lot of fun. I must say that paramount importance was given to all safety aspects. The facilities were top notch and our guides were professional and made the tour easy and enjoyable. Grudgingly I must confess, I enjoyed this adventure and was glad we did this tour which for us was the highlight of our entire trip. Next time we will do the longer course.



I am now “Afire with enthusiasm” for adventure and will even order a different brand of beer with a new dish at our well tried and tested restaurant.






5 comments:

  1. Cool Adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was Sukanya. Loads of fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Baba,

    I came across your blog looking for an easy chair pic, I am really impressed by your peals of wisdom.

    Like you I too on my husbands encouragement have recently started a blog

    Like you I too am a Parsi and very hapy to be one, through my blog I wish to present people with a slice of the merry Parsi life that we enjoy.

    Do drop in at my blog sometime.

    see ya
    Mango Woman (aam aurat)

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://themangowoman.blogspot.com/ here's the link

    ReplyDelete